Application deployment with Pega Cloud
Pega is a leading Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) provider. The SaaS model reduces the time, money, and effort that organizations spend maintaining everything that is necessary to run the software smoothly by leveraging Pega Cloud®, the SaaS application deployment offering from Pega.
As a Pega Business Architect, discover the different Pega Cloud offerings to ensure that your redesigned workflow and the application development and deployment process you support best integrate with the client organization's choice for application hosting and maintenance.
In this topic, you examine the choices that Pega offers for cloud deployment.
Pega Cloud packaging
Pega Cloud is a service platform that provides infrastructure, operational support, and client Life Cycle management to support Pega applications as a cloud-delivered solution. Pega Cloud offers state-of-the-art, flexible, scalable, and secure cloud services that reduce time to market, improve planning and cost efficiency, and ensure enterprise-grade security for organizations.
All Pega Cloud packages include the following features:
- Three environments:
All three environments include Pega Platform™ and all Pega applications to ensure consistency.
- Pega Tools
- Pega Predictive Diagnostic Cloud (PDC) to closely monitor the performance of the Pega applications.
- Agile Studio, the built-in project management application for Dev Studio that supports the Scrum development framework.
- Deployment Manager, a deployment tool that simplifies application delivery.
The responsibility model
One of the design principles of Pega Cloud is that clients maintain control over certain functions and features in their Pega Platform application environment, along with the controls that Pega maintains.
Clients are responsible for performing tasks that typically relate to Pega application deployment with Pega Cloud. These responsibilities include:
- Application performance and monitoring using PDC and Admin Studio.
- Database management, including the storage, access, extraction, and archiving of business information and customer data.
- Identity and access management of application users.
There are responsibilities that Pega maintains around application deployment with Pega Cloud. The responsibilities include:
- Supporting and updating the Pega Platform infrastructure and Pega applications to which the client subscribes, including software updates and patches and the latest features and services of Pega Cloud.
- Monitoring system performance, including utilization issues, database availability and performance, compliance, and security monitoring.
- Database support, including backups and restores. Pega supports the database as a whole; it does NOT have access to individual database records.
- Managing interactions with the cloud vendor that provides the underlying data center infrastructure. These cloud service providers include Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
Pega Cloud Choice
Pega Cloud Choice ensures that clients have the cloud service that best supports their business requirements. Pega Cloud Choices consists of the following deployment models:
- Pega Cloud Services: Pega Cloud Services is Pega's fully managed cloud solution that provides clients with the ability to deploy Pega applications as-a-service. By using AWS as the infrastructure service provider, Pega provides cloud services for hosting, managing, and monitoring Pega applications, including 24-7 global and regional support models, continuous deployment models, comprehensive audits, and rigorous security. Organizations that use Pega Cloud Services can realize significantly-improved value by having Pega run Pega applications on their behalf.
- Client-managed Cloud: With Pega client-managed cloud services, clients can deploy Pega applications in their own cloud environments using either the private or public cloud service of their choice. This model is similar to on-premise application deployment; Pega provides platform support only, with the client responsible for everything else. Client-managed cloud is best for clients with experience in managing complex workloads, clients who face potential conflicts of interest with the use of AWS (for example, retail service organizations), or clients that have very specific infrastructure or data requirements.
- Pega Cloud for Government: Pega Cloud for Government supports clients that require FedRAMP Low or Moderate authorization or Department of Defense Impact Level 2 authorization.
Through the Pega Cloud Choice Guarantee Program, Pega offers some level of support to our clients no matter what cloud deployment model they select. The Guarantee program offers full global 24x7x365 support for clients running Pega applications and no penalty for migrating to or from any supported cloud environments.
Client organizations do not have to use one of Pega's cloud offerings to deploy their Pega applications. Developers can deploy Pega applications with their own on-premise infrastructure, although the client does assume most of the responsibility for the maintenance of this setup.
As a Business Architect, be aware of the client organization's choice for deploying their applications, as the choice likely influences conversations with both the Business and IT project teams throughout the project Life Cycle, especially for application security, deployment, and ongoing administrative operations.
Check your knowledge with the following interaction: