Design thinking in Pega Express
Design thinking and Pega Express
The Pega Express™ has design thinking at its core. Design thinking is a human-centered approach to identify and creatively solve problems throughout the project lifecycle. It incorporates the needs of people, the possibilities of technology, and the viability to achieve a business outcome. By cultivating a deep understanding of people’s needs, design thinking builds empathy to create great experiences - embraced by users and great for business.
Pega Express uses design thinking to identify and frame the focus of your project - realizing the business outcomes - through the reimagined Microjourney™. This approach is collaborative at heart, bringing people from across multiple teams and functions to problem-solve together, innovate, and increase confidence.
The five steps of the design thinking process
Design thinking brings a group together to successfully generate ideas, push past boundaries, and challenge assumptions.
Tip: To maximize your team's design thinking process, it is a best practice to have a skilled facilitator lead within a collaborative environment.
In the image below, you see the five steps and what happens in each.
1. Empathize: Use research to gain a deep understanding of end users’ needs and friction points.
2. Define: Find links or patterns within those insights to create a meaningful and workable problem statement or point of view.
3. Ideate: Apply structured methods to collaborate, encourage unconstrained thinking, and focus on the strongest ideas.
4. Prototype: Validate concepts through rapid-prototype - designing a realistic enough surface for users to interact with.
5. Test: Watch users work with the prototype, observing their behavior, and gathering tangible, actionable insights as they respond.
Empathy starts with the ability to embrace another person's perspective without judging it, recognizing feelings within that perspective, and being able to communicate that understanding. For empathy, you need to be able to connect with the other person's feelings and motivations.
Note: The benefit of empathy is that it allows you to move beyond what people do, to discover the why. Empathy is the ability to feel with people.
Check your knowledge with the following interaction.