Pega Cosmos design system and UX architecture
Pega's digital experience technology
Pega currently offers the following design systems:
- The Constellation design system (available in 8.8, previously referred to as Cosmos React in Pega 8.7)—this is the latest Pega design system, built on Pega’s Constellation architecture.
- Theme Cosmos (available in Pega 8.7 and prior)—this design system is built on Pega’s traditional section-based UI architecture.
Each is different in how it is authored and in level of prescriptiveness.
The Constellation design system is built on Pega’s new, view-based architecture:
- Emphasizes configuration over customization of the UI— enables you to configure business logic instead of building UI from scratch
- Provides prescribed workflows for users and guided authoring for low-code developers— allows you to build applications fast with pre-made UI designed for productive user experiences
- Allows you to configure views, instead of sections— enables you to configure business logic and then add a presentation layer to the data, instead of adding logic to pieces of UI
Theme Cosmos is built on Pega’s traditional, section-based UI architecture:
- Allows you to customize skins, sections, and harnesses
- Available for Pega 8.7 and prior
- Provides prescribed workflows for users
- Authored in a mix of App Studio and Dev Studio
- Emphasizes customization over configuration— allows you to customize UI, but can lead to inconsistent UX and challenges with upgrades
Check your knowledge with the following interaction: