Sending automated emails
The Creative Content team wants to generate an email to confirm receipt of each content request through the Creative Request application. The email acts as validation for the requester that the team receives the request.
In the current workflow, this step contains errors. There are occasions when Ren's team neglects to send the email and instances when the email is duplicated. There are also inconsistencies in the timing of the email and the information that it contains.
For Ren, automating the requester confirmation email process improves the consistency of the process and saves considerable time and effort.
To facilitate the email correspondence, Ren considers three simple questions:
- Who is going to receive the email?
- What information will the email contain?
- When during the case life cycle will the email be sent?
For Ren, the answers to each of the three questions are:
- The requester receives the email.
- The email contains the request type and case ID.
- The email is sent as the first step in the Processing stage.
With these questions answered, Ren clicks the Requester Confirmation step in the case life cycle to open the Step properties pane.
Identifying the email recipient
To define the email recipient, Ren fills in the boxes associated with the Send To portion of the contextual property pane.
Email correspondence can be sent to one of several categories including:
- Email address: An email address can be entered manually.
- Field: An application field such as Requester email can be used to send an email.
- Participants: An email can be sent to one or more of the case’s stakeholders.
Ren defines the email recipient for his application by performing the following steps:
- In the navigation pane of App Studio, click Case types, and then click the Creative Request case type.
- On the Workflow tab, click Life cycle.
- In the Case life cycle section, on the Processing stage, click the Requester Confirmation step.
- In the Step properties pane, in the first drop-down list, select Field.
- In the second drop-down list, select Requestor email.
Note: This email address is required as part of the Content Request Form step.
Next, Ren defines the template for the email notification.
Defining the email template
For Ren, defining the email template begins by entering Content Request Confirmation in the Subject text box. This input is the subject line of the email.
Next, Ren composes his email correspondence template.
Ren incorporates two Pega data fields in his email correspondence template:
- Request Type
- Case ID
These fields reference data from the specific case instance in the email that is generated.
To include these fields in the email template, Ren clicks theicon on the email template menu bar. To access a field, Ren can either:
- Enter the name of the field into the Search bar.
- Review the field names available from the drop-down list.
Clicking on the selected field adds the appropriate syntax to the email template.
Ren defines the email template by performing the following steps:
- In the Email Requester step properties pane, in the Subject field, enter Content Request Confirmation.
- Click Compose.
- In the Compose message dialog box, enter the following body text:
Thank you for submitting a request for a <<.RequestType>> to the Creative Content Team.
For your reference your Request ID is: <<.pyID>>
We will notify you by email when your request is complete.
The Creative Content TeamTip: To add <<.RequestType>> and <<.pyID>>, click theicon to add the two following Pega data fields:
- Request Type
- Case ID
- Click Done.
- Click Save.
The following video details the process Ren uses to automate the Email Requester step, followed by an example of the step from the user perspective.
As a result, each time users submit a new Creative Content Request, the requester automatically receives a confirmation email.
Check your knowledge with the following interaction:
In your environment
In your own Pega environment, duplicate the steps Ren uses to generate an automated email. You can recreate the Email Requestor notification that Ren uses or automate an email that is associated with your own process.