Creating a data object
When submitting a service request through the MyTown311 application, residents first enter information about the issue into the Description field. The mayor and the services coordinator want residents to provide more detailed information about requested repairs. Create a data type for the request type with fields for Type and Description.
The following table provides the credentials you need to complete the challenge.
Note: Pega now refers to data types as data objects in App Studio. The challenge walkthrough video shows data types; however, the configuration steps remain the same.
1 Create a Request type data object
- In the App Studio navigation pane, click Data > Data objects and integrations to display a list of existing data objects in the application.
- To the right, click New to create a new data object.
- In the Data object name field, enter Request type.
- Click Submit to create and display the new Request type data object.
- On the Data model tab, click + Add field to create a new field for the Request type data object that is displayed under Globally unique ID.
- In the Name field, enter Type to name the field.
- To the right of the Name field, verify that the Type drop-down defaults to Text (single line).
- Click + Add field to create a new field.
- In the Name field, enter Description to name the field.
- From the Type drop-down, select Text (paragraph).
- In the upper right, click Save to commit the fields to the data type.
2 Add the Request type data object to the Report problem step
- In the App Studio navigation pane, click Case types > Service Request to display the Service Request case life cycle.
- Click the Report problem step.
- From the configuration pane on the right, click Configure view to display the Report problem view window.
- To the right of the Description field, click the Trash can icon.
- Click + Add field to add an empty field row.
- In the empty field, enter Request.
- From the Type drop-down, select Field group to display a drop-down list to the right of the Options field.
- From the new drop-down list, select Request type to reference the Request type data object.
- In the lower right, click Submit to dismiss the Report problem view window.
- In the upper-right corner of the Service Request case type, click Save to complete the configurations in the case type.
3 Confirm your work
- In the upper-right corner of the Service Request case type, click Save and run to run a new Service Request case.
- In the Create view, complete any required fields before advancing the case.
- In the Report problem step, verify the Type and Description fields are displayed.