Why should I become a Pegasystems certified professional?
Certification demonstrates to your customers, partners, and colleagues that you have acquired the knowledge and skills required to be an effective contributor to the design and development of Pega applications.
How do I get certified?
- Determine your Pega career path.
- Take the applicable course(s) for your path through Pega Academy.
- Prepare for and take a certification exam.
- Prepare for the exam by taking a Practice exam, available for most exams in Pega Academy.
- Review exam information such as the exam cost, passing score, number of questions, and test topics that are included on the exam. Note that, if applicable, tax may applied to the exam cost when you register to take the exam.
- Create a Pearson VUE account if you do not already have one and register for the exam through the Pearson VUE site, our test delivery provider.
- View and download your Pega certificate.
- After you pass an exam, within approximately 1-3 business days you will receive an email notification from Pega Certification with instructions for how to view and download your certificate from your Pega Academy transcript.
- Verify your information on Pega Academy’s Verify Certification search page. Search either by the exact name or the exact email address used in your Pearson VUE account.
Exam Registration and Locations
Where can I take a Pegasystems certification exam?
Pega certification exams are administered at a Pearson VUE testing center. There are locations worldwide. To find the test center nearest you, visit the Pearson VUE Test Center Locations page.
NOTE: Candidates enrolled in Pega’s New Hire Enablement program are provided information on how to register and take the exam at the Pegasystems headquarters’ authorized Pearson VUE testing center in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
How do I register for a Pegasystems certification exam?
You can register for an exam by visiting http://pearsonvue.com/pegasystems or by calling Pearson VUE toll-free at: 800-433-1299 (North America). For Pearson VUE contact numbers in other locations, visit the Pearson VUE Support Contact page.
First-time test takers must create a Pearson VUE web account. The name on your ID will you use must match the name listed on your Pearson VUE account.
For LSA 7.3 application build registration information, see the Certified Lead System Architect (CLSA) section below.
I am trying to register for an exam, but I get a message that I do not have the correct prerequisites. How do I correct this?
If you have previously taken a Pegasystems certification exam, you need to register using the Pearson VUE account with which you took the previous exam. This is especially important in the case of required prerequisite exams. Contact Pearson VUE Support or Pega if you do not know which account to use.
How much does it cost to take a Pegasystems certification exam?
Pega exam prices may vary depending on the exam and are subject to change at any time. Please note that in some countries, tax may be applied to the cost of the exam. Prices starting January 1, 2018 are as follows:
- CSA, CPBA, CUIS, CPMC, CPDC, CRSA exams: $175 (USD) per attempt
- CSSA and CSPMC exams: $175 (USD) per attempt
- LSA 7.3 Readiness exam, LSA 7.3 Architecture exam: $175 (USD) per attempt
- LSA 7.3 Architecture Application Build: $600 (USD) for 1st attempts; $300 for subsequent attempts. This exam is administered by Pega. Application build payment can be made using a valid credit card, purchase order, or Pega Academy credits.
Exams administered by Pearson VUE are payable with a valid credit card or exam voucher during the Pearson VUE exam registration process. Pearson VUE accepts MasterCard, VISA, American Express (Amex), and JCB credit cards only. Purchase orders, cash, and personal checks are not accepted.
The cost of Pega exams is subject to change. The current cost for exams administered by Pearson VUE can be found on the Pearson VUE website during registration.
Does Pegasystems offer volume discounts for Pearson VUE exams?
Yes, you can purchase vouchers for Pearson VUE exams directly from Pegasystems in the following increments:
Amount and Discount
50-99 vouchers: 10% discount
100-199 vouchers: 20% discount
200+ vouchers: 30% discount
Vouchers purchased in bulk may be used for any Pega certification exam delivered through Pearson VUE regardless of the exam price level. Bulk vouchers are priced at $175/voucher before discount. Vouchers have a 1-year expiration.
Payment can be made with Pega training credits (purchased online in Pega Academy), or by valid credit card, purchase order, or wire transfer.
Please note that vouchers cannot be resold, and may not be extended past their due date.
Contact us for additional information.
What should I bring with me when I take a Pegasystems certification exam?
You must bring two (2) forms of personal identification (ID). Both forms of ID must have your signature, and one of the 2 forms of ID must have your photo. Valid forms of ID include a driver’s license or passport. The name on your ID must match the name in your Pearson VUE account. Please note that food, laptops, backpacks, cell phones, notepads, pens, or other personal items are not allowed in the test area.
General Exam Information
How can I prepare for an exam?
Pega Academy delivers in-depth programs that are designed, developed, and taught by certified experts. Each career path, including recommended courses for each certification, can be found on our career paths page. Self-study and Instructor-led courses are available for all career paths. Our training courses, while not required for a certification, are highly recommended for exam preparation.
Many of Pega's certification paths have practice exams to help prepare for the types of questions that may be on the certification exam. Please note, however, that a passing score on the practice exam does not guarantee a passing score on the certification exam. Additionally, test prep sessions are offered through Pega Academy.
The Pearson VUE exam registration site can also help with test preparation as you can find exam blueprints for each Pega exam. Each exam blueprint includes information about the passing score, question formats on the exam, number of questions on the exam, test domain weighting, and test topics covered in each test domain.
Pegasystems does not endorse or recommend using any study materials from third-party vendors. These include websites and forums where brain dumps, exam answers, and study guides exist.
If an exam requires a prerequisite certification, does it have to be the same version?
The CSA, CSSA and CPMC exams can be taken in any version as a prerequisite for another Pega exam. However, the LSA exams need to be in the same Pega version.
Can I use reference materials during a Pegasystems certification exam?
No. The use of reference materials and/or discussion between candidates is not allowed during the exam.
What question formats are on Pega certification exams?
Pega certification exams can contain any of the following test question formats:
- Multiple Choice/Single Response — Select one option that best answers the question or completes a statement.
- Multiple Choice/Multiple Response — Select more than one option that best answers the question or completes a statement. If multiple responses are required, the text states how many responses the examinee must choose.
- Drag and Drop/Matching — Select an item in column 1 and associate it with the correct response in column 2.
- Reading Passage/Scenario questions: After reading a scenario, answer a question or series of questions about the scenario.
A response is considered correct when it accurately completes the statement or answers the question.
Distracters or incorrect answers are plausible response options that examinees with incomplete knowledge are likely to choose.
How long is a Pegasystems certification exam?
For most of our exams, you are given 90 minutes to accept the Non-Disclosure Agreement and complete the exam.
For the LSA 7.3 Readiness exam and the LSA 7.3 Pega Architecture exam, you are given 120 minutes to accept the Non-Disclosure Agreement and complete the exam.
Why am I required to review and sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before taking a Pegasystems certification exam?
To preserve the security and value of the certification program, all candidates are required to review and accept a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) at the time of the exam. If you do not accept the NDA, you cannot take the exam. You can view the NDA in detail prior to the exam.
What is the passing score for a Pegasystems’ certification exam?
The passing score for an exam can be found on the exam blueprint in Pearson VUE or on the exam’s information page in Pega Academy. See certification policies for more information on passing scores.
When do I receive my exam results?
All candidates are notified of their score and pass/fail status immediately after taking a Pega exam. All candidates will receive a score report that identifies performance in each test domain. You can download a copy of your score report at any time by logging into your Pearson VUE account and clicking the View Score Reports link.
Can I get a detailed report of my exam answers?
In order to maintain the integrity of the exam, the test questions and answers are not provided.
Are any Pega exams being retired?
When an exam retires it may be replaced by another exam, and the previous exam will be phased out.
Exam retirement information will be posted on our Pearson VUE page and in Pega Academy. Pega provides at least 90 days’ notice before an exam is retired.
Recent and upcoming exam retirements - no attempts or retakes will be allowed after these dates:
- CLSA 7.1 Part 1 exam: Retired October 31, 2017
- CLSA 7.1 Part 2 exam: Retired December 31, 2017
- CCSA 7.2 exam: Retired on December 31, 2017
- CPBA 7.2 exam: Will be retired on August 31, 2018. All attempts, including retakes, must be completed by this date.
Exam Policy Questions
Can I retake an exam if I do not pass?
Yes. See certification policies for more information.
If you need to reschedule or cancel your exam, you must do so at least one (1) business day prior to your exam appointment.
Please see the Exam Rescheduling and Cancellation policies for more information.
What is the refund policy?
Refunds are granted when you cancel your exam with at least 24-hour notice. No other refund requests are granted.
Certification Verification, Certificate, and Transcript Questions
How can I verify that an individual is Pegasystems’ Certified?
Pegasystems does not publicly publish the names or scores of those who have been certified. For information regarding certification status, contact us. Please note that Pega Certification will only provide pass/fail statuses. Scores or test domain breakdowns will not be provided.
Certifications can also be viewed and verified using our Verify Certification search page. Search either by the exact name or the exact email address used in the Pearson VUE account.
How do I register for a Pega account?
You can register for a Pega account here. Please note that you need a Pega account in order to search for your certification in the Verify Certification search page and to download your .pdf certificate when you are certified.
Do I need to recertify for Pega exams?
Pega certifications do not currently expire. However, this is subject to change at Pegasystems’ discretion.
How do I update my email address in my Pega account?
To add or update email addresses in your Pega profile, please follow these steps:
- Login to Pega
- Navigate to your Pega profile page by clicking on the Hello [your name] link from the menu bar
- Click the Profile link to access your profile.
- Click the Edit profile link next to your name and update your email address in the appropriate field
- Click Save Profile
Note: It can take approximately 48 hours before the changes take effect.
How can I obtain a soft copy of my certification?
To retrieve a soft copy of your certificate, log in to your Pega account and follow the steps below. We do not send hard or soft copies of your certificate.
Certifications will display within 1-3 business days after the date of the exam, unless there is an account issue that needs to be manually resolved. If there is an account issue, it may take an additional 3-7 days to display your certification in your transcript.
- Log into Pega Academy using your Pega account. If you do not have a Pega account, please register for an account.
- Click the My Training link in the top menu to navigate to your Dashboard.
- Click the My Achievements link.
- Your completed courses, certifications, and badges will display. Click the Download link under the certification name for a copy of your certificate.
I passed the LSA Readiness exam and/or the Pega Architecture exam, but it is not displaying on my transcript. Why?
To earn CLSA certification, you need to pass three exams: (1) LSA Readiness Exam, (2) Pega Architecture Exam, (3) LSA Architecture Application Build. After successful completion of the Application Build, the CLSA certification will display on your transcript. More information on CLSA certification can be found in the Certified Lead System Architect (CLSA) section below.
Why is my certification not appearing on my transcript?
It can take approximately 1-3 business days after your exam date for exam results from Pearson VUE to be sent to our Pega Academy systems. You will receive an email notification from Pega Certification when your certification is available to view in your Pega transcript. The notification will be sent to the email address you used in your Pearson VUE account.
Additionally, in order for your certification to be associated with your Pega transcript, the email address used in your Pearson VUE account must be either a primary (login) or alternate email address in your Pega account.
How do I get a copy of my score report?
All candidates will receive a score report that identifies performance in each test domain. Download a copy of your score report at any time by logging into your Pearson VUE account and clicking the View Score Reports link in the My Account menu.
Certified System Architect (CSA) Questions
Who should take the System Architect exam?
The Pega Certified System Architect exam is intended for system architects and application developers who are directly involved in the design and construction of applications built on Pega.
What does the System Architect exam test for?
The exam tests an individual’s level of knowledge and competency in the essential tasks required to build Pega applications and to be a successful member of a Pega project team.
How do I become a Certified System Architect?
Training and professional experience are the key ingredients in determining whether you should take the next step toward becoming certified. See the System Architect career path page for information on training offerings and the Pega System Architect Certification Exam Blueprint for suggested prerequisites.
What training is recommended to prepare for the System Architect Certification Exam?
The completion of the following Pegasystems' training courses, combined with your professional experience, is the most effective way to prepare for the Certified System Architect exam:
In addition to training classes, what other activities or experience can help me become a Certified System Architect?
The following have proven to be helpful in preparing for the exam:
- Experience in the development of applications using object-oriented design principles
- Experience in the design and development of applications using Pega Platform
- Programming experience with Java, C++, C Sharp, HTML, and relational databases
- Familiarity with Pega Platform
- Exposure to Pegasystems developer information via product documents, online help files, and/or the Pega Community.
Certified Senior System Architect (CSSA) Questions
How do I become a Certified Senior System Architect (CSSA)?
To become a CSSA, you must have the CSA certification as a prerequisite, and pass the CSSA exam. To prepare for the exam, you can enroll in the Senior System Architect Self Study or Instructor-Led Training course, as well as take the CSSA Practice exam. See the System Architect career path page for information on Senior System Architect training offerings and exam information.
Certified Lead System Architect (CLSA) Questions
How do I become a Certified Lead System Architect (CLSA)?
To become a CLSA in version 7.3, a candidate must:
- Earn the Pega Platform Ready badge in their Pega transcript.
- Earn the Customer Service Ready badge in their Pega transcript.
- Pass three (3) LSA exams. You must pass all 3 LSA exams in the order below to earn CLSA certification:
- LSA Readiness exam: $175 USD per attempt; administered by Pearson VUE
- Pega Architecture exam: $175 USD per attempt; administered by Pearson VUE
- LSA Architecture Application Build: $600 USD for the 1st attempt; $300 for each retake; administered by Pegasystems; must be taken within three (3) months of passing the Pega Architecture exam.
You have a maximum of 3 months after you pass one exam to take the next exam. If you do not take the next exam within 3 months of passing the previous exam, you will be required to retake the previous exam. For example: After you pass the LSA Readiness exam, you have 3 months to appear for the Pega Architecture exam.
More information regarding the LSA Learning and Certification path and prerequisites can be found at https://academy.pega.com/Lead-System-Architect-Overview.
How long after each 7.3 LSA exam do we have to take the next part so that the prior exam validity does not expire?
You have a maximum of 3 months after you pass one exam to take the next exam. If you do not take the next exam within 3 months of passing the previous exam, you will be required to retake the previous exam.
For example: After you pass the LSA Readiness exam, you have 3 months to appear for the Pega Architecture exam.
How do I prepare to become a Certified Lead System Architect (CLSA)?
It is recommended that you have at least 12 months of field experience before beginning the CLSA 7.3 certification program.
Required prerequisites for the Lead System Architect (LSA) Readiness exam are as follows:
- Earn CSA and CSSA certifications in any version
- Earn either the CPDC certification or CSPMC certification in any version
- Earn the Pega Platform Ready badge
- Earn the Customer Service Ready badge
You can confirm if you have the required prerequisites by reviewing your My Achievements page.
To prepare for the LSA Readiness exam:
- Take the SSA Advanced topic courses listed at https://academy.pega.com/library/73/lead-system-architect-readiness-exam
- Review the LSA Readiness exam blueprint at: https://academy.pega.com/library/73/lead-system-architect-readiness-exam
- Review the LSA Readiness exam study guide .pdf at https://home.pearsonvue.com/Clients/Pegasystems/LSA_study_guide.aspx
To prepare for the Pega Architecture exam:
- Pass the LSA Readiness exam (required prerequisite)
- Take the Lead System Architect course in Pega Academy – available either online/self-study or Instructor-led. The Lead System Architect course is a two-week class.
- Review the Pega Architecture exam blueprint at: https://academy.pega.com/library/73/pega-architecture-exam
What is the LSA Architecture Application Build?
The LSA Architecture Application Build tests your ability to architect and implement Pega solutions. The Application Build consists of 6 questions of varying complexity. All questions involve Pega development and will require creating a separate migration package for each solution. Some questions also require a design question to be answered and submitted.
Solutions should be constructed in such a way that they are isolated from other solutions and can be tested and migrated independently. There are no dependencies between questions.
The application build exam must be completed within 3 consecutive days.
The passing score for the application build is 70%.
What version of Pega do I use to complete the LSA Architecture Application Build?
You must complete the exam using Pega version 7.3.1 since this is the version used to grade the exam.
All development should take place on the PVS instance available for download on the LSA 7.3 Self Study course in Pega Academy. The starting point for the exam will be provided and should be uploaded to the application unless otherwise noted.
How do I register for the CLSA 7.3 LSA Architecture Application Build?
The LSA Architecture Application Build is managed by Pega. Please contact the CLSA Team at CLSATeam@pega.com to register for the 7.3 application build.
I submitted my Architecture Application Build. When I can expect to have the results?
After submitting your Application Build, please allow approximately 8 weeks for grading before you receive your emailed results.
How many times can I attempt the LSA 7.3 exams?
- LSA Readiness Exam and Pega Architecture Exam: You can take up to 3 attempts within a 12-month period for each exam.
- After the 1st attempt, you must wait 3 calendar days before a 2nd attempt.
- You must wait 14 calendar days between a 2nd and 3rd attempt.
- If needed, a 4th attempt needs to be at least 12 months from date of first attempt.
- LSA Architecture Application Build: You can take up to 3 attempts within a 12-month period.
- You need to wait a minimum of 1 month between attempts.
- It is recommended that you take some time to review the feedback provided from your most recent attempt to understand deficiencies in your provided solution and improve your skills to the level required to pass the exam.
What happens if I pass my Pega Architecture exam but do not take my Application Build within three (3) months?
After three (3) months, your eligibility to sit for the Application Build will expire and you will be required to sit for your Pega Architecture exam again.
If I pass the first and second 7.3 exams (LSA Readiness Exam and Pega Architecture Exam), but do not pass the Application Build, do I have to take all three exams again? Or if I don’t pass the second exam, do I have to start over?
Each exam tests distinct skills. There is no requirement to retake the LSA Readiness exam or the Pega Architecture exam if you fail the Application Build.
CLSA certification consists of passing 3 exams: (1) LSA Readiness exam through Pearson VUE, (2) Pega Architecture exam (through Pearson VUE) and the Pega Architecture Application Build. CLSA Certification is issued only when all three exams have been passed.
The LSA Readiness exam and the Pega Architecture exam will NOT appear on your transcript.
If you need proof that you passed the LSA Readiness exam or the Pega Architecture exam, you can print out your exam score reports from your Pearson VUE account. Login to your Pearson VUE account, and on the My Account menu on the right-side of the screen, click the View Score Reports link.
What does it cost to get CLSA 7.3 certified?
- LSA Readiness exam: $175 USD per attempt; administered by Pearson VUE
- Pega Architecture exam: $175 USD per attempt; administered by Pearson VUE
- LSA Architecture Application Build: $600 USD for first attempts; $300 for retakes; administered by Pegasystems and must be completed within 3 consecutive days. Application build payment can be made using a valid credit card, purchase order, or Pega Academy credits. To register, contact the CLSA Team at CLSATeam@pega.com
Can my company pre-purchase Application Builds so that my employees do not need to pay for their exam out of their pocket?
Yes. Application Build exam packs can be purchased by companies to create a fund for CLSA candidates. An administrator or administrators can be named for each exam pack, and an approval request will be sent when a candidate registers for the exam. Contact your Partner Enablement Executive or CLSATeam@pega.com for more details.
If I have other questions, who do I contact?
If you have any additional questions, please contact us.